Equipping laity to realize and respond to their call to ministry.
Jesus taught us to love one another, to care for each other, and to bring the good news to the world. Lay Servant Ministry is our United Methodist system for lay leadership development. The United Methodist Church established three categories for laypersons in the area of lay servant ministries to develop, prepare, and engage principled Christian Leaders for the mission of making disciples for the transformation of the world. Categories include certified lay servant, lay speaker, and certified lay minister as certifications. To learn more, view the Lay Servant Ministries "Called By God to Serve" brochure.
Specific coursework is required for each certification. Download the chart that illustrates the three Lay Servant Ministries categories and the requirements for certification or renewal.
New Lay Servants
Are you ready to answer God's calling for you as a lay servant leader? Here are the steps if you wish to apply to become a lay servant leader:
- Complete a Lay Servant Ministries Initial Application to be a part of Lay Servant Ministry. The online application requires you to login (or create a login) and answer some questions. Upon completion the application will be submitted to your pastor and your church's charge conference for approval, and ultimately to the district committee on lay servant ministry for follow-up. An optional paper application is attached below for download.
- Once your application is approved, complete the Basic Course and an advanced course for Lay Servant Ministries. Contact your District Office for course availability.
- You can also review the 2022 Lay Servant Ministries Resources Catalog: Download and find the supporting resources you need for your ministry in this PDF catalog.
Current Lay Servants
- All lay servants at any certification level must submit an annual report to the church/charge conference for the church at which they are a member. Church/charge conferences take place each fall. Check with your church pastor to find out when your church's is scheduled. Click here to complete this online annual report. An optional paper form is attached below for download.
- Upon completion the annual report will be submitted to your pastor and your church's charge conference for approval, and ultimately to the district committee on lay servant ministry and/or the Conference Director of Lay Servant Ministries, Kathy Moore.
- Complete an advanced course for Lay Servant Ministries every three years. Contact your District Office for course availability.
- You can also review the 2022 Lay Servant Ministries Resources Catalog.