Updated August 9, 2019 for 2020 submissions
The intention of the West Ohio Conference is that grants awarded to undergraduate collegiate ministries will be used “to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.” (¶120 Book of Discipline 2016)
The West Ohio Conference Collegiate Ministry Task Force, under the direction of the Connectional Ministries Leadership Development Lead Team, serves as the Conference Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministry structure that provides the functions and responsibilities outlined in the 2016 Book of Discipline, ¶ 634. “The functions include the evaluation of schools, colleges, universities and collegiate ministries related to the Annual Conference, with concern for the quality of their performance, the integrity of their mission, and their response to their missional goals of the general church and Annual Conference.”
If you believe your collegiate ministry could more effectively and fruitfully accomplish the work of reaching and discipling an increasing number of undergraduate college students for Jesus Christ with the assistance of a West Ohio Collegiate Ministry Grant in 2020, you are invited to complete a grant application as outlined below.
Applications must be postmarked by Monday, September 16, 2019 (or received electronically before midnight).
Undergraduate Collegiate Ministry Grant Criteria
All undergraduate collegiate ministry grant applicants are required to:
• Provide a clearly articulated, bold, strategic plan to reach and disciple undergraduate students.
• Utilize the grant funds for undergraduate collegiate ministry efforts such
as programs, resources, events, etc. that impact the faith lives of students. Note: West Ohio Conference Collegiate Ministry Grant funds may not be used to underwrite mission trips/alternative break experiences, staffing, church wide programs or events that are not specifically targeted to reach and disciple undergraduate students.
• Be in formal partnership/connection with at least one West Ohio Conference United Methodist Church which underwrites an amount of at least 10% of the Collegiate Ministry expenses in cash or in-kind contributions.
• Provide a clearly articulated, detailed strategic plan for diversifying funding sources to grow, maintain, and steward the collegiate ministry financials.
• Submit regularly scheduled “Benchmark Reports” to document fruitfulness of the collegiate ministry’s bold, strategic plan throughout 2020.
• Grant approval in any given year does not guarantee approval for funding in subsequent years.
• Undergraduate Collegiate Ministry Grant awards is not designed to be sustaining sources of funding. Monies are intended to implement or increase capacity for intentional discipleship.
• Churches listed in formal partnership with the collegiate ministry is expected to pay 100% apportionments during grant application year & grant recipient year. Churches that have gone on record as withholding apportionments will be automatically disqualified from consideration.
• Incomplete or late applications will be disqualified from consideration.
Submitting an Application:
Applications for 2020 (found below) must be postmarked by Monday, September 16, 2019 or received electronically before midnight, and may be mailed or emailed to:
Attn: Ken Overholser
32 Wesley Boulevard
Worthington, Ohio 43085
If you have additional questions, please contact Ken Overholser, Director of Discipleship Resources, at 800-437-0028, or email koverholser [at] wocumc.org or Rev. Peter Borhauer, Chair, Campus Ministry Task Force at pastorpeterborhauer [at] gmail.com.