On Wednesday afternoon, Associate Director Stan Ling gave the Council on Development Report to the Annual Conference. The original purpose of the Council on Development was to create awareness of the programs and agencies of The United Methodist Church, and to encourage investment in the Conference.
The Council’s priorities include…
- Donor relationships, cultivation, and the stewardship of gifts
- Local churches and providing stewardship training
- Conference mission and ministry through the Light the Way campaign and our global mission partnerships
After much discernment and consultation, the Council on Development Board has approved the recommendation to move from a Council to a Foundation. The Foundation will still operate in much the same way, with controls within the Conference, but this move provides…
- An opportunity to rebrand the COD
- Alignment with the foundation structure in many communities and churches
- An opportunity to increase assets under management and planned gifts
- Minor shift in structure with a major upswing in perception among constituents
The new foundation will be incorporated separately with the Conference as its sole member.