SUPPLIES: table covered with white roll paper, markers, chairs, wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, debrief questions sheet
HOW TO HOST THIS STATION
1. Greet new participants and when a few folks have gathered introduce the topic with, “Good morning. This station will be helping you understand Mobility Impairments. You will have the opportunity to complete a mobility challenge with a few different pieces of equipment.
We have available wheelchairs, walkers, and crutches. Many times folks who use assistive devices see their devices as an extension of their physical body. There is a mobility challenge set for you that is very typical of any person- let’s say you have to use the restroom and get a drink of water. Your challenge will be to get into the restrooms, into and out of a stall with your assistive device, and get a drink of water from the fountain before coming back to the starting point.”
2. Make certain the debrief question sheet is visible and taped down to the white roll paper on the table. Encourage participants to write responses to questions on the last slide on the white roll paper on the table.
3. Take time to answer questions (if you feel comfortable) and hear what the participants are processing out loud. Some of your learners will be external processors and need someone to speak to about what they experienced where others will be internal processors and simply listen to what is being said or write more fully on the white roll paper. Respect both forms of processing.
4. Thank the participants for their focus and encourage them to find another station. Help them know what stations are available and how to get to them.
Debrief Questions (Mobility Impairment)
1. What did you experience? What was surprising, challenging, or frustrating?
2. What are ways that persons with mobility impairments might be hindered from fully engaging in the life of your church?
3. What adaptations can be made in the life of your congregation to create inclusive space for persons with mobility impairment?