A Lay Speaker is called and equipped to serve the church in pulpit supply in accordance with the 2012 Book of Discipline (Paragraph 341.1).
To become a Lay Speaker, you must complete the following requirements:
- Be a professing and active member of a local church/charge.
- Complete a Lay Servant Ministries Initial Application to become a Lay Speaker. The online application requires you to login (or create a login) and answer some questions. Upon completion the application will be submitted to your pastor and your church's charge conference for approval, and ultimately to the district committee on lay servant ministry for follow-up. An optional paper application is attached below for download.
- Complete the BASIC course for Lay Servant Ministries.
- Complete the Lay Speaker six required core course of study:
- Discovering Spiritual Gifts
- Leading Worship
- Leading Prayer
- Go Preach
- Living Our United Methodist Beliefs (Heritage)
- Life Together in the UM Connection
- Interview with the District Committee on Lay Servant Ministries and be recommended to the conference committee on Lay Servant Ministries for certification.
- Complete an advanced course for Lay Servant Ministries at least once every three years for renewal.
- Complete a Lay Servant Ministries Request for Renewal Application every three years.
- Interview with the District Committee on Lay Servant Ministries and be recommended to the conference committee on Lay Servant Ministries for recertification.
|Lay Servant Ministries Information Sheet||92.45 KB|
|Lay Speaker Initial (and Renewal) Application||209.69 KB|
|Lay Speaker Requirements for Initial Certification||191.18 KB|
|Lay Speaker Certification Interview Questions||195.45 KB|
|Lay Speaker Interview Form||54.34 KB|
|Lay Speaker Requirements for Certification Renewal||178.99 KB|
|Lay Servant Ministries Annual Report||236.65 KB|