A Lay Speaker is called and equipped to serve the church in pulpit supply in accordance with the 2012 Book of Discipline (Paragraph 341.1).
To become a Lay Speaker, you must complete the following requirements:
- Be a professing and active member of a local church/charge.
- Complete a Lay Servant Ministries Initial Application to become a Lay Speaker. The online application requires you to login (or create a login) and answer some questions. Upon completion the application will be submitted to your pastor and your church's charge conference for approval, and ultimately to the district committee on lay servant ministry for follow-up. An optional paper application is attached below for download.
- Complete the BASIC course for Lay Servant Ministries.
- Complete the Lay Speaker six required core courses of study Discovering Spiritual Gifts, Leading Worship, Leading Prayer, Go Preach, Living Our United Methodist Beliefs (Heritage) and Life Together in the UM Connection. Other courses may be determined by the annual conference committee on Lay Servant Ministries.
- Interview with the District Committee on Lay Servant Ministries and be recommended to the conference committee on Lay Servant Ministries for certification.
- Complete an advanced course for Lay Servant Ministries at least once every three years for certification.
- Complete a Lay Servant Ministries Request for Renewal Application online every three years. Optional paper application is attached below for download.
- Interview with the District Committee on Lay Servant Ministries and be recommended to the conference committee on Lay Servant Ministries for recertification.
|Lay Servant Ministries Initial Application or Request Renewal Application||209.69 KB|
|Lay Speaker: Requirements for Certification||102.04 KB|
|Lay Speaker Initial Certification Interview||61.63 KB|
|Interview Form for Lay Speaker||54.34 KB|
|Lay Servant Ministries Annual Report||236.65 KB|
|Lay Speaker Requirements for Certification Renewal||86.96 KB|
|Lay Servant Ministries Information Sheet 2016||92.45 KB|
|Lay Servant Annual Report||236.65 KB|