The problem of the HIV/AIDS epidemic can be overwhelming.
This fatal disease has infected millions of people, left millions more orphaned, and it continues to spread. United Methodists are not quiet regarding this global crisis. We are there, comforting the sick and bringing healing and education to those within our reach...read more.
December 1st is World AIDS Day. This is a great opportunity to invite members of your congregation to be in prayer for all those who are affected and infected by HIV/AIDS. Links to worship and Bible study resources can be found below. The United Methodist Church is active around the world bringing hope and healing. We believe that together, we can stop the spread of HIV/AIDS.
What can YOU do? Here are some ideas...
- Donate financially to the UMC Global AIDS Fund. The UMGAF is a UMC Advance Special. Through your local church, you can write a check made payable to your local church with the Advance Special #982345 noted in the memo line, or you can give online here. This will support dynamic projects around the globe and in your annual conference,where 25% of all donations stay!
- Organize a World AIDS Day Service around December 1. It’s not too early to begin planning for an event in your local church and/or community. Connect with AIDS organizations in your area to explore ways you can raise this issue collaboratively! Worship resources, including a sample worship service, are available on the UMGAF website.
- Sponsor an AIDS Testing Event! Connect with your local health department to see if your church can be a testing site for a day – or two!
- Sponsor a study on AIDS during Advent. The UMGAF has produced an Advent Study entitled “A Season of Hope: An Advent Study on HIV & AIDS." These studies can be used by small groups, Sunday school classes, youth gatherings, United Methodist Women, etc.
- Become a friend of the UMC Global AIDS Fund on Facebook.
A Healing Weekend Retreat is held annually in Ohio for those individuals and families affected by HIV/AIDS. Read about the impact of HIV/AIDS today and how the Church can help. To donate support for persons attending a Healing Weekend, click here or send a check to West Ohio Conference, 32 Wesley Blvd, Worthington, OH 43085 with 'Healing Weekend Retreat' in the memo line. To learn more about the retreat, click here.