In 1947 Edith Gardner made gifts, including land, to the predecessor of the Conference
for the purpose of providing retired clergy with housing. On the gifted land, the Conference
constructed apartments and made them available to clergy on a subsidized basis. The
13-unit apartment complex was in Washington Court House, Ohio, and was referred
to as Gardner Village. Subsequent Annual Conference action and actions of the Conference
Board of Trustees determined that Gardner Village should be sold and the proceeds invested
in the Gardner Village Fund. Income from the fund is used to honor the donor’s original
intent of helping retired clergy with housing-related needs.
To apply for housing assistance through the Gardner Fund, please complete the form attached
and send with it any supporting documents to the Conference Benefits Office.