"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor." - Isaiah 61:1-2a
Each summer, hundreds of students in West Ohio participate in a Children’s Defense Fund (CDF) Freedom School, a six-week program dedicated to increasing literacy in students who have fallen behind in their studies. Beyond this, CDF Freedom Schools aim to help children fall in love with reading, increase their self-esteem, and generate more positive attitudes toward learning. With 12 of the 23 Ohio CDF Freedom Schools run by United Methodist churches or organizations, the United Methodist Church has played a key role in expanding the opportunities for students to participate. Still, there are many more who could benefit - with the help of your congregation!
Covenant UMC in Springfield decided to conduct a Freedom School because many students lose a degree of academic skills over the summer months. Read More about Covenant UMC's Freedom School or Learn More about how your church can start a CDF Freedom School!
To learn more about Freedom Schools, watch these videos...
2018 West Ohio United Methodist Freedom Schools:
- Grace Freedom School, Grace UMC, Dayton
- Heart of the City Freedom School, East Broad UMC and Asbury North UMC, Columbus
- Licking County Freedom School
- Southside Kingdom of Hope, Columbus
- All People Freedom School, Community Development for All People, Columbus
- Covenant Freedom School, Covenant UMC, Springfield
- Trinity Freedom School, Trinity UMC, Lima
- Monroe Street Neighborhood Center, Monroe Street UMC, Toledo