The United Methodist Church brings God’s hope, healing and renewal to people whose lives have been disrupted by natural disaster. Through Disaster Response and Volunteers In Mission, we provide disaster response, relief and rebuilding to communities who have been impacted by natural and human-created disasters. Learn more about the five phases of a disaster and which ones you can be a part of by clicking here. As United Methodists, it is always crucial that we do not self-deploy.
The West Ohio Conference is working closely with the Miami Valley Long-Term Recovery Group to provide case management assistance and skilled, one-day teams of volunteers. If you are interested in bringing a team to assist in rebuilding, contact Mariellyn Grace at mgrace [at] wocumc.org.
Other Recent Disasters
- California-Nevada Wildfires: interested volunteers can fill out the form here.
Ways to Support Disaster Response
- Click HERE to donate online. 100% of your gift will assist individuals and families recovering from disasters within West Ohio.
- You can also write a check to West Ohio Conference with 'West Ohio Disaster Response' in the memo line and send it to West Ohio Conference, Attn. Disaster Response, 32 Wesley Blvd, Worthington, OH 43085.
Survivors often experience chaos, fear, grief and anxiety in the aftermath of natural disasters. These emotions can be overwhelming and paralyzing. Our prayers have the power to activate healing and courage in the face of great unknowns.
Long-term disaster response volunteer opportunities from around the country can be found by clicking on the Disaster Recovery tab on the UMVIM webpage here. Please do not self-deploy to disaster areas. For more information, contact mgrace [at] wocumc.org.
- Early Response Team training: ERT teams of The United Methodist Church assist in the aftermath of natural disasters. Click here for upcoming ERT trainings.
- VIM Team Leader training: VIM teams assist with rebuilding during the long-term recovery process. Click here for upcoming VIM trainings.
- Disaster Readiness Training: Host a training at your church in order to prepare for disasters before they happen. Click here for more information.