The United Methodist Church brings God’s hope, healing and renewal to people whose lives have been disrupted by natural disaster. Through Disaster Response and Volunteers In Mission, we provide disaster response, relief and rebuilding to communities who have been impacted by natural and human-created disasters. Learn more about the five phases of a disaster and which ones you can be a part of by clicking here. As United Methodists, it is always crucial that we do not self-deploy.
Southern Ohio Ice Storm & Flooding
Following the mid-February ice storms that knocked out power and downed trees, several counties in southern Ohio experienced significant flooding due to warming temperatures and heavy rains. Lawrence County, hit hard by the ice storms, then saw many homes with basements flooded by several feet of water. To volunteer with basement muck-outs and other recovery projects, contact Gary Stabler at 740-384-3328. UMCOR Cleaning Kits are also needed - contact Diana Hall at 740-637-0829 if you have kits to donate.
Hurricane Ida Recovery
Currently, recovery efforts from Hurricane Ida are open to ERT-led teams only. Click here to register your team.
Other Recent Disasters
- Detroit flood recovery: https://liveunitedsem.galaxydigital.com/agency/signup/
- Louisiana hurricane long-term recovery: https://www.la-umc.org/hurricanehelp
- California-Nevada Wildfires: interested volunteers can fill out the form here
Ways to Support Disaster Response
- Click HERE to donate online. 100% of your gift will assist individuals and families recovering from disasters within West Ohio.
- You can also write a check to West Ohio Conference with 'West Ohio Disaster Response' in the memo line and send it to West Ohio Conference, Attn. Disaster Response, 32 Wesley Blvd, Worthington, OH 43085.
Survivors often experience chaos, fear, grief and anxiety in the aftermath of natural disasters. These emotions can be overwhelming and paralyzing. Our prayers have the power to activate healing and courage in the face of great unknowns.
Long-term disaster response volunteer opportunities from around the country can be found by clicking on the Disaster Recovery tab on the UMVIM webpage here. Please do not self-deploy to disaster areas. For more information, contact mgrace [at] wocumc.org.
- Early Response Team training: ERT teams of The United Methodist Church assist in the aftermath of natural disasters. Click here for upcoming ERT trainings.
- VIM Team Leader training: VIM teams assist with rebuilding during the long-term recovery process. Click here for upcoming VIM trainings.
- Disaster Readiness Training: Host a training at your church in order to prepare for disasters before they happen. Click here for more information.