The United Methodist Church brings God’s hope, healing and renewal to people whose lives have been disrupted by natural disaster. Through Disaster Response and Volunteers In Mission, we provide disaster response, relief and rebuilding to communities who have been impacted by natural and human created disasters.
UPDATE 6/10/19 - The West Ohio Conference is working closely with Beavercreek, Dayton, Celina and other communities affected by the May tornadoes to asses needs and determine ways to assist in recovery. We will continue to update this page with information as invitations are extended. As United Methodists, it is always crucial that we do not do not self-deploy.
- Trotwood, OH - Ft. McKinley UMC is leading teams on June 11, 12 & 13 as well as July 22. Please contact Noel Garrett at 937-277-7484 to join one of these teams.
- Logan County - volunteers are needed to begin clean-outs and muck-outs. Contact Director Helen Norris at 1-937-593-5743 at the Logan County Office of Emergency Management. Please call ahead to detemine the best days to respond.
Other ways you can support survivors and communities of disasters:
- West Ohio Disaster Response: Fund #1701000--100% of your gift will assist individuals and families recovering from disasters within West Ohio. For this disaster, it is critical that gifts support the West Ohio Disaster Ministry instead of UMCOR. Money sent to West Ohio will stay to assist in the recovery. Funds sent to UMCOR will support disaster recovery across the United States.
- Click HERE to donate online.
- You can also write a check to West Ohio Conference with "West Ohio Disaster Response" in the memo line, please send checks to:
West Ohio Conference
Attn: Disaster Recovery
32 Wesley Blvd
Worthington, OH 43085
Survivors often experience chaos, fear, grief and anxiety in the aftermath of natural disasters. These emotions can be overwhelming and paralyzing. Our prayers have the power to activate healing and courage in the face of great unknowns.
UMCOR and Annual Conference leaders will work with community partners to assess damage and response opportunities. Invitations for volunteer teams will be communicated as soon as they are received. Please do not self-deploy to disaster areas.
Early Response Team training
ERT teams of the United Methodist Church assist in the aftermath of natural disasters. They use their gifts and skills to provide not only disaster response and clean up, but also emotional and spiritual support as an outgrowth of our discipleship. Click here for upcoming ERT trainings.
VIM Team Leader Training
Upcoming team leader trainings or contact Kris Shoaf at kshoaf [at] wocumc.org
STAY CONNECTED WITH UMCOR
Keep up to date on how UMCOR is responding to disasters around the world by going to their webpage.