Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Michael have been deadly and devastating. As you prepare yourself to respond, we invite you to reflect on the following prayer written by Bishop Hope Morgan Ward of the North Carolina Conference. Please remember that it takes time to do appropriate assessments and develop the infrastructure for hosting outside volunteers. Please do not self-deploy and wait for an invitation.
Loving God, the source of strength and restoration and healing,
we pray together for all who suffer in our communities today.
In the wake of wind and waves, destruction and flooding, make your presence known through our generosity to our neighbors, near and far.
Give us the vision and patience to live and labor faithfully
through this season of response and recovery.
As we clean up and rebuild, give us your joy and peace.
Give us above all the love for one another that is your best gift always.
In the name of the Triune God, we pray. Amen.
What can you do now?
- West Ohio Disaster Response: Fund #1701000 (Your gift will equip West Ohio to respond to neighbors near and far in their recovery.)
- UMCOR United States Disaster Response: Advance #901670--100% of each gift will support survivors recovering from disasters. Recovery will take many years and require significant resources to assist people in their recovery.
- Click HERE to donate online. You can select the designated recipient under the "Donate to Disaster" button.
- To donate by phone, call 1-888-252-6174
- You can also write a check to West Ohio Conference with the appropriate designation in the memo line, please send checks to:
West Ohio Conference
Attn: Disaster Recovery
32 Wesley Dr
Worthington, OH 43085
Survivors often experience chaos, fear, grief and anxiety in the aftermath of natural disasters. These emotions can be overwhelming and paralyzing. Our prayers have the power to activate healing and courage in the face of great unknowns.
UMCOR and Anual Conference leaders will work with community partners to assess damage and response opportunities. Invitations for volunteer teams will be communicated as soon as they are received. Please do not self-deploy to disaster areas.
The Alabama West Florida Conference is still undergoing assessment of affected communities. Although they are not ready to deploy volunteers, they have provided a link where you can register your team. Please be patient as you await a response . Please click here to complete a form.
Early Response Team training
ERT teams of the United Methodist Church assist in the aftermath of natural disasters. They use their gifts and skills to provide not only disaster response and clean up, but also emotional and spiritual support as an outgrowth of our discipleship. Click here for upcoming ERT trainings.
VIM Team Leader Training
Upcoming team leader trainings or contact Kris Shoaf at kshoaf [at] wocumc.org
STAY CONNECTED WITH UMCOR
Keep up to date on how UMCOR is responding to disasters around the world by going to their webpage.