Linworth UMC seeks a Director of Contemporary Worship Music
Linworth United Methodist Church is a 600-member congregation located in northwest Columbus, Ohio.
We belong to the West Ohio Conference and the Capitol Area North District of the United Methodist Church. We have approx. 60 staff members which includes those employed by our faith-based Children’s Center (LCC) that provides daycare and programs for children from six weeks old through kindergarten. We are a Reconciling Congregation. Click here for more about Linworth UMC.
Position reports to the Senior Pastor and supervises Musicians and Vocalists (predominantly volunteer) for Contemporary Service.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Overview of Position:
The Director of Contemporary Worship Music (DCWM) is a part-time position totaling 15-20 hours a week. The DCW is responsible for planning and leading Sunday morning worship music for the contemporary service and providing special musical support for other contemporary and non-traditional services as requested through the year (i.e. VBS, Christmas musical, etc.). The DCWM will either create or implement a team-based approach to creating worships slides (Linworth UMC utilizes Proclaim).
Education, Experience, and/or Qualification Requirements:
A Bachelor’s degree in music is desired but not required given an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience. Must demonstrate proficiency on guitar or keyboard in various musical styles. Must be able to collaborate with the AV Team on sound checks and the technical elements of the soundboard and equipment use. The DCWM must be comfortable selecting music appropriate for the mission, vision, and values of Linworth DCWM. Technical proficiency is a requirement, with experience in Proclaim highly preferred.
The DCWM must be a committed Christian who strives to create community, to grow in Christ, and to serve the world consistent with Linworth’s mission statement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensures the year-round provision of music for the contemporary service. Selects music to support the liturgy and schedules musicians and vocalists to participate in the music ministry.
• Creates lead sheets with lyrics and chord progressions for the band.
• Communicates information and provides music to band.
• Ensures preparation of slides with accurate, readable lyrics.
• Recruits and develops musicians from within the congregation to serve in the contemporary band.
• Leads weekly rehearsals, including regular soundchecks and time for guiding the band members in spiritual development and congregational engagement.
• Develops repertoire of a variety of musical genres including familiar praise songs, traditional Methodist hymns performed in a new style, and secular songs and creatively uses music to enhance congregants' reception of the message.
• Develops annual budget for maintenance and purchase of equipment and instruments (in collaboration with the Director of Traditional Music).
• Collaborates with other church staff and worship team members to prepare for worship. This will include a weekly meeting with pastors and creative planning members to discuss upcoming themes and coordinate the various elements of the service.
• Collaborates with the Director of Traditional Music in a collegial and engaging way to further the relationship between services. This also includes collaborating on 5th Sunday, blended, family worship.
• Exhibits the ability to communicate well with the band members and the congregants, displaying authentic enthusiasm and passion for the music ministry.
LUMC Work Culture
• Office setting with core hours of 8:30 -4:30 for full-time staff.
• Work/life balance is valued and encouraged.
• Continued learning and spiritual growth is expected.
• $14,000 - $19,000 Annually.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Victoria Roach, HR Administrator, at HR [at] linworthumc.org .
See attached for more information.