A Certified Lay Minister desires to further his/her calling preach the word, provide a care ministry to the congregation, assist in program leadership and be a witness in the community for the growth, missional and connectional thrust of the United Methodist Church as part of a ministry team with the supervision and support of a clergy person. A Certified Lay Minister is assigned by the Superintendent of a District to a particular ministry within the West Ohio Conference.
To become a Certified Lay Minister, you must complete the following requirements:
- Be a professing and active member of a local church/charge.
- Complete a Lay Servant Ministries Initial Application to become a Certified Lay Minister. The online application requires you to login (or create a login) and answer some questions. Upon completion the application will be submitted to your pastor and your church's charge conference for approval, and ultimately to the district committee on lay servant ministry for follow-up. An optional paper application is attached below for download.
- Complete the BASIC course for Lay Servant Ministries.
- Complete the six required core courses of study: Discovering Spiritual Gifts, Leading Worship, Leading Prayer, Go Preach, Living Our United Methodist Beliefs (Heritage) and Life Together in the UM Connection (Polity). Other courses may be determined by the annual conference committee on Lay Servant Ministries.
- Submit the Certified Lay Ministry Academy (CLMA) Application for Admission. Students will receive notification and academy details upon acceptance into the Certified Lay Ministry Academy.
- Interview with the District Committee on Ordained Ministry and be recommended to attend the Certified Lay Ministry Academy.
- Attend and receive a certificate of completion from the Certified Lay Ministry Academy.
- Complete a Lay Servant Ministries Annual Report yearly. Click the link below to download a paper copy of the form.
- Interview with the District Committee on Ordained Ministry and be recommended to the Conference Committee on Lay Servant Ministries for recertification every two years.
- Complete continuing education aligned with ministry assignment and update a mutual ministry plan.
|Certified Lay Minister Requirements for Initial Certification||71.79 KB|
|Certified Lay Minister Initial Interview||101.48 KB|
|Certified Lay Minister Requirements for Renewal Certification||129.32 KB|
|Certified Lay Minister Renewal Interview||413.29 KB|
|Lay Servant Ministries Annual Report||236.65 KB|
|Lay Servant Ministries Information Sheet 2016||92.45 KB|
|Certified Lay Minister Mutual Ministry Plan||64.87 KB|