Soraya de Arco grew up in Cali, Colombia, in South America. In 1992, Soraya married Rev. Edinson de Arco, a Methodist pastor, and helped to start a Methodist congregation in her hometown. Soraya earned two law degrees in Colombia and entered into family law practice. In 2000, she and her husband became missionaries with the Methodist Church in Panama, and two years later transferred to Hispanic/Latino ministry in South Carolina. They moved to Ohio in 2005, where Soraya earned a law degree from Ohio State University. Soraya and her husband are the parents of three children: Nora, born in 1993; Andres, 1997; and EdySoraya, 1998.
Soraya is a missionary of the United Methodist Church, serving as a Church & Community Worker at Esperanza Viva ('Living Hope') Community Center in Hamilton, OH. Esperanza Viva is a holistic, Christ-centered, transformative ministry focused on the following areas:
- Spiritual Orientation: Bible studies, home visits, and prayer circles.
- Immigration Orientation: Guiding the Hispanic community with respect to immigration processes.
- Empowering Women: Supporting migrant women. Many have left their families to offer them a better future, and because of this they fall into depression.
- Literacy: Offering a basic education for people who do not know how to read or write, and for those who want to finish their high school diploma.
- Counseling: Orientation to the migrant community since they have problems with being separated from their families and cultures.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Like all United Methodist missionaries, Soraya is responsible for raising part of her own support - approximately $25,000 per year - through relationships with individuals, groups, and congregations. To support Soraya, you may sorayadearco [at] hotmail.com (subject: Inquiry%20from%20W.%20Ohio%20Conference%20Website) (contact her directly), donate on the West Ohio website by selecting her name from the drop-down menu on this page, or send a check to West Ohio Conference, 32 Wesley Blvd, Worthington, OH 43085, with 'Soraya de Arco, #3021137' in the Memo line.