Thank you West Ohio for the amazing outpouring of love and compassion in the aftermath of devastating disasters! Each kit is a gift of grace to the survivor who receives it. Thank you for being hope that radiates from Christ's heart!
As disasters continue to make headlines, we invite you to continue remembering our neighbors in your prayers. Hurricane Maria has devastated Puerto Rico and other Carribean Islands with catastrophic flooding. People along the Gulf Coast are preparing for Hurricane Nate. May we be resilient in our generosity of love and financial resources so that those impacted will know that they are indeed beloved children of God.
Survivors often experience chaos, fear, grief and anxiety in the aftermath of natural disasters. These emotions can be overwhelming and paralyzing. Our prayers have the power to activate healing and courage in the face of great unknowns.
Give to UMCOR
Partner with UMCOR with your financial gifts. 100% of each gift will support survivors recovering from disasters. Recovery will take many years.
United States Disaster Response: Advance #901670 (includes Puerto Rico)
International Disaster Response Advance #982450
- Give through your local congregation
- Donate on line for international disaster response
- Donate on line for US disaster response
Do Something - Make Kits
A semi - truck departed Northridge UMC in Springfield, OH the last week in September carrying 2030 Flood buckets, 333 Hygiene kits and 157 School kits. The buckets and kits were taken to an UMCOR distribution site in IL and were later on sent to the main UMCOR warehouse in Sager Brown, LA. West Ohio's response to this calling has been an inspiring reminder of our love and care for our neighbors, both near and far.
We have begun Phase II of collecting flood buckets, hygiene and school kits. You can drop off kits at any of the locations listed below. The West Ohio Conference center is currently working with the UMCOR Midwest Distribution Center in Illinois on the final tranportation plans. Please check back here for updates as they are received. If you have any questions, you may call Kris Shoaf at 614-844-6200.
- West Ohio Conference Center in Worthington: Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm, 614-844-6200
- North Broadway UMC in Columbus: Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm, 614-268-8626
- Hilliard UMC in Hilliard: Monday-Friday, 12:30pm-4pm, 614-876-2403.
- Marion Prospect UMC in Marion: Call Erika Meligan at 740-382-6069 to schedule a drop off.
- Marysville First UMC in Marysville: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, 9am-4pm OR Wednesday & Friday, 9am - 2pm, 937-642-4712.
- Maplewood UMC in Maplewood: Monday-Friday, 8am-1pm, 937-596-8155.
- Emery Chapel UMC in Springfield: Tuesday, Friday & Saturday, 9am-noon OR Wednesday, noon-6pm OR Thursday, 9am - 9pm, 937-407-2733.
- First UMC in Newark: Monday-Friday, 9am-noon, please call ahead before dropping off, 740-349-7020.
- Lancaster First UMC in Lancaster: Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm, 740-653-3330.
- Rolling Plains UMC in Zanesville: Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm, 740-453-4192.
- Shawnee Valley District Office: contact Roberta 740-851-5243
- Resurrection Hope UMC in Ironton: contact Pastor Terry Jones 740-646-0694
- Georgetown UMC: contact Pastor Dan Pelzel 513-602-1241
- First UMC in Hillsboro: contact the office 937-393-2981
- Grace UMC in Washington Court House: contact the office 740-335-0460
If you are not able to make kits, you may give to the Material Resources Advance Special, #901440. You can give through your local church, or give online.
Teams to Texas
Volunteer teams are needed in Texas to clean out flooded homes. Significant physical labor is required. At least one team member must possess a current Early Response Team (ERT) badge. All members must provide proof of Safe Sanctuary training and a clear background check from their local congregation. Teams will be housed at local churches within the conference. West Ohio Conference strongly recommends Volunteers-In-Mission training for all team leaders. Team Leaders can register their teams here, or call Kris Shoaf at 614-844-6200 for more information.
Teams to Rio Texas
The Rio Texas conference is accepting UMCOR trained and badged Early Response Teams (ERT). All members must be currently badged in order to deploy. Register your Early Response Team
Teams to Louisiana
The Lousiana Conference has issued an invitation for Early Response Teams and Mission teams. Team requirements and registration of teams can be found here.
Teams to Florida
The damage from Hurricane Maria was extensive across the island. UMCOR is working with the Methodist Church of Puerto Rico and other partners to organize relief and recovery efforts. The best response right now is to give to the US Disaster Response Advance.
If you would like to be trained as an Early Response Team member, you are required to attend a one day training session and have a current background check.
- October 21, 2017 at Decatur UMC in Little Hocking
- October 21, 2017 at Aley UMC in Beavercreek
- October 28, 2017 at Clifton UMC in Cincinnati
- November 4, 2017 at First UMC in Bowling Green
VIM Team Leader Training
Three VIM Team Leader trainings have been scheduled to date.
- October 21, 2017 at Batavia Emmanuel United Methodist Church
- February 17, 2017 at Marion Epworth United Methodist Church
Register here for one of these classes. If you have questions or encounter problems registering for any of these classes, please contact Kris Shoaf at kshoaf [at] wocumc.org
Other Disaster Response Mission Team Opportunities
The South Central Jurisdiction has created an interactive map of communities around the country recovering from past disasters. The church in these communities are ready to receive you now. You can be that tangible sign of Christian love and hope to people across the country.
Stay Connected With UMCOR
- If you are on facebook, like "UMCOR - United Methodist Committee on Relief"
- Keep up to date on how UMCOR is responding to disasters around the world by going to their webpage.